Study In Canada as an International Student
April 12th, 2021 by Al C

Study in Canada in Toronto

Studying in Canada can be a great experience. The people are welcoming, the education is top notch, and there are many opportunities for travel. But before you make any decisions about your plans to study abroad in Canada as an international student, it’s important that you know what to expect.

There are a few things that every prospective college student should know before they come to Canada: tuition fees, the cost of living (including average rent prices), immigration requirements (such as landing rights and work permits), safety precautions (including how often crimes happen), obtaining health care coverage or insurance, etc.

So before you make any decisions about studying in Canada, it’s important that prospective students have an understanding of what to expect. Hopefully this article will be helpful!

Living in Canada

Because Canada is such an immense country, it is extremely varied in its people, landscape, climate, and way of life. However,  what most Canadians have in common is a deeply rooted sense of hospitality and openness, which many international students find refreshing.

Canada, like the United States (and around world), is a melting pot of cultures. This means that people from all over come to live here; therefore Canadians are used to diversity  – not only ethnically but also culturally as well – so you might hear different languages spoken every day during your time in Canada.

Canada is regularly recognised as being among the top countries in the world for standard of living, and it is easy to see why. Canada offers safe, clean cities with good public transit systems, and the people are polite (because they care about others), and helpful when you need them most or have a question that needs answering.

It has to be said that in some locations like Vancouver, British Columbia, or Toronto, Ontario, the cost of living can be very high, though.

One thing Canada is famous for is universal healthcare, however international students must have their own healthcare plan, although some provinces do allow foreign students access. Canadian schools all offer guidance on healthcare plans so speak to your advisors.

Great Universities

Canadian public education is among the best in the world, attracting talented students and research from around the globe.

Canada offers some of the best universities in North America, with McGill University and UBC being ranked as among world’s top 20 schools by QS World Rankings 2018  (these are just two examples).

Accessible Student Visa System

One of the many reasons Canada is increasingly popular with international students is that the country has a clear, easily-accessible visa application process for international students.

The first step is to get accepted into a Canadian school. With so many top universities in the country, it should be relatively easy to find one that will accept you as an international student and remember that Canada offers some of world’s best scholarship opportunities.

To apply for school you will need to provide your high school Graduation certificate, the appropriate completed application form, proof of your English language proficiency (or in francophone territories your French proficiency) and evidence to show that you can support yourself financially during your studies. You may also need to write a letter of intent and include your CV.

To apply for the visa, students need only provide a letter of acceptance from the school they will be attending, along with a document as proof that they have enough money to cover their tuition fees and living expenses.

The process takes just two weeks on average for Canadian visa applicants (as opposed one month or more in other countries).

International students who are married or have children are allowed bring their families with them while they study.

Note that if you want to study in Quebec, visa requirements are a little different from the rest of the country.

Affordability

Canadian universities cost less than similar institutions in America and living costs are manageable compared to other countries. On average the cost of attending university in Canada will be around $11,000-$13.

In contrast American universities charge nearly US$20k/year tuition on average for out-of-state residents and this could be much more at an institution like Harvard University.

Tuition fees will vary greatly depending on your chosen course and university and living costs will vary from region to region.

Choice

With such a wide variety of options to choose from, the problem is not finding the program you are looking for, but choosing from all of the available possibilities! There really is something here that will meet everyone’s needs so take some time exploring your options before making any final decisions.

Speak to the academic advisors at your chosen school for the best advice on choosing a program that is right for you.

Nature

Study in Canada and explore nature

There are some great perks when you study in Canada, like access to nature, or the opportunity to explore it! Canada is a big country with lots of space for exploration and adventure, so make sure you take advantage.

The Rocky Mountains, wide open spaces, lakes and the sea are just some of the the nature that Canada has to offer. But watch out for those bears!

Some of the best nature to explore in Canada is found within its National Parks, which are protected parks and reserves that protect our natural heritage. There’s a national park for everyone – from Banff & Jasper with their snowcapped Rocky Mountains peaks or UNESCO World Heritage Site Niagara Falls on Lake Ontario.

Work and Study

International students are allowed to work 20 hours per week on or off campus during semesters. In vacations this rises to 30 hours per week.

However, it is important to note that work-permit regulations can vary depending upon whether your job is on-campus or off-campus, the length of time an individual has been in Canada and the course that they are enrolled on.

If you bring your family with you while you study, your spouse may be eligible for an  open work permit – this allows them to work full-time in Canada for the duration of your course.

International students can pursue Canadian permanent residency if they want to stay in the country after they graduate. The Canadian Post-Graduate Work Permit is specifically for international students who want to stay in Canada after graduating. Applicants can work for up to three years on this permit, but after just one year of working in Canada they may become eligible for permanent residency.

Funding – Study in Canada for free

Of course studying abroad anywhere in the world is a decision with financial implications. International students may not be eligible for the same kinds of financial aid as local residents. However, with IEFA.org you may be able to find a scholarship to help you cover your costs.

If you still need further help with your tuition, then a loan might be the right thing for you. With our partners you may be able to find a loan to study in Canada that requires no collateral and no cosigner. You can find out more about international student loans in Canada here.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is CompareStudentLoans.png

1. Jewel N. Motiani says:

I got high marks A+ (90%) in London Cambridge O/L as well as A/L. But, due to my father’s accident we got financial trouble, being stood no.1 in school I couldn’t continue my study. I am keen study further upto PhD if I got scholarship or loan. Here in Sri Lanka nobody help me.

• Al C says:

We have loan programs available to international students studying at an approved school in the United States or Canada.

You can see eligible schools here: https://www.internationalstudentloan.com/eligible_schools/all/

Unfortunately, our loan programs are for international students from anywhere in the world studying in the United States or Canada. We do not currently have a program for international students studying elsewhere in the world or in their home country, even with a US co-signer.

2. Ochilov says:

My name is Savlat I’m from Uzbekistan

3. Veronica F. Aquino says:

Interested to study and work part-time in Canada

4. Mamadou Saliou Barry says:

Studiying in canada is a great opportunity bu the problem is to get a study permit.

I tried many times but impossible

5. madhava reddy says:

pilot training colleges

6. Md.Nasiruddin says:

I am interest.

7. Michael Osei Bonsu says:

I really need to further my studies but not financially feasible and things aren’t working the way planned so will be happy to get an opportunity to get support

8. Sadman Tariq says:

Interested to join in BSC in Computer science & Engineering with full scholarships

9. Kundayi Baramasimbe says:

I’m from Zimbabwe. I want to study nursing in Canada. Which college can I apply for nursing?

10. Karikari Alexander says:

I want to study and work at Canada but I have financial problems can you help me

11. Adjei Festus says:

How can I apply for degree course

12. TSEGAYE NAWULE says:

GOOD

13. Juliet Ajube says:

My name is Juliet Ajube,am from Nigeria and am married with two beautiful princess.i am a second class graduate of Business Administration….I will so much appreciate if am given the opportunity to come study in Canada with my family,we are not too financially stable please.Thanks I will wait for your Reply because What God cannot do does not exist.

14. Edwine says:

Hi
    My name is TOUSSAINT Edwine. Living in Haiti.
    I’m actively looking for a scholarship to peruse university in Canada. Financial support to pay university is a big challenge for me.
    How could you help me out please?

• Al C says:

You can view scholarships that you might be eligible for by clicking on the following link:

You can browse the awards or use our quick search tool which will narrow down the scholarships based on what you are studying, where you are studying, or where you are from.

After you find a scholarship you are eligible for or interested in, you will need to contact the institution responsible for the scholarship directly. They can assist you with the application process and any questions you might have.

You can also find out more in this post: https://blog.iefa.org/2021/02/15/how-to-find-international-scholarship/

15. Hani Al Fakih says:

My name is Hani, Yemen.
    Undergraduate, I have 91% degree-Marks
    Want to study Medicine at Canada.
    Any University.
    I need your support.

Thanks

16. Fay says:

Is it possible to still get to Canada after several refusals through school and visiting at this time when there is strict entry to Canada

17. Dr. Assad says:

I am veterinary Graduate from Pakistan. is there any fully funded scholarship program for P.hD. in canada. please let me know.

Thanks

• Al C says:

18. COLIN WILLIAMS says:

My NAME IS COLIN J WILLIAMS
    WANT TO STUDY COMPURTER SCIENCE AT
    ANY UNIVERSITY
    I REALY NEED YOUR SURPORT

19. COLIN J WILLIAMS says:

AND POW CAN I APPLY

20. Mubaiwa chidya says:

looking for schorship for PHD supply chain in Zimbabwe the economy is still a challenge

21. Altamash Haider says:

Please suggest me the best colllege

22. Mohammad Jafari says:

From where can I start to apply for canada

• Al C says:

You first must decide what you want to study and which school – the school can then help you with information on applications.

23. igboji chinedu says:

i tried to go to school in canada ,but of finance prolem and spouse,please i need help me for

24. Raymond Tondo says:

I would like to study, then living in canada

25. Heba Omar Alalami says:

I am desperately looking for a scholarship to continue PhD in English Literature anywhere possible.

26. Ali Ansari says:

Hello,
    My brother is about to get his bachelor’s degree and he wants to study abroad for his master’s degree, he has a visual impairment and I wanted to know do universities in Canada provide courses or services for this type of student?
    Also, is there any type of financial support or scholarship for student with disability?
    He also married and doesn’t have a child.

27. Helen Demeke says:

I went to register for canada scholarship

• Al C says:

Thank you for your comment.

28. Leah Oduori says:

Kindly help me get SCHOLARSHIP to do Masters in Theology as I am graduating for degree on Theology at St Paul’s University, Limuru in Kenya,in January 2022

29. Oluniyi Awoniyi says:

Are Nigerians eligible for your loan?

30. Abdihakim says:

Yes I am still interesting to get your application scholarship, kindly please help me.

31. Abdihakim says:

32. Odeyemi Oluwatomisin Alex says:

Good day, please how can get full scholarship to run for master degree in your country I study Surveying and Geoinforamtic am through with my post graduate diploma in surveying and Geoinforamtic

• Al C says:

33. Sharon jebet kipkorir says:

Hello I am interested to study and work in Canada

34. Madeeha says:

I got 3.50 cgpa in m.phil economics
    I want to get a phd scholarship
    I am married and my husband also want to go with me
    Kindly guide me

35. EMEKA ANYADUBA says:

I want to be part of this discussion

36. Hi Jennifer says:

Please I have been enrolled in a college in Canada at seneca can I get a loan to pay the first tuition fee.