If you are unable to take out a loan because of no credit (that’s you, international students!) or insufficient credit history (that could be you, US students!), you will need a cosigner. Basically this person is offering their credit score and financial history to cover your lower score, or lack thereof. Luckily for you, this generous cosigner has the ability to help you receive the money you need to fund your international education.

A cosigner is typically a family member or close friend with a good credit rating as well as proof of substantial income and life stability (meaning he or she has had the same address and job for a considerable amount of time). If you’re a college student, you’ll need to find someone who fits this basic description and is willing to legally bind themselves to you. While this may sound difficult, if you weigh your options and show potential cosigners that you are responsible and financially stable enough to handle payments, they will be more likely to say yes!

Rule of Thumb:
The better their score, the better interest rates that you will receive for your loan.

Although you don’t have good enough credit to take out a loan by yourself, making payments on a loan is a great step towards raising your credit score. Remember that you can build your credit score (and that of your cosigner) to make prompt payments every time, because if for some reason you are unable to repay your loan, your cosigner will be solely responsible for the remaining balance.

The generosity of your cosigner should be greatly appreciated, after all, you wouldn’t be able to receive the money without them. Need help asking your friend or family member to cosign your student loan? Check out our recent blog on how to ask. Remember when you were thinking what can a cosigner do for you? Now is the perfect time to ask yourself what you can do for your cosigner!