Best International Scholarships for International Students
December 14th, 2021 by Al C
In a world where the competition is increasingly fierce, it’s no wonder that scholarships are in high demand. In fact, for international students who have to pay higher tuition fees than their local counterparts, it can be a life-changing opportunity. Fortunately, there are many scholarship opportunities available to today’s international students.
This article will cover some of the best and most popular options for international students looking for international financial aid. We will also cover some important things that might help you in your scholarship hunt.
What is an International Scholarship for Students?
An international scholarship, as the name suggests, is a financial award available to students who are not citizens of the country in which they are studying. International scholarships can come from a variety of sources, including governments, universities, and private organizations that support a student for his/her financial need.
It helps students to pay for their educational expenses while they are attending a university or college in another country. Most scholarships are either full or partial. In full scholarships, the student receives all the money they need to cover their tuition and living expenses. Partial scholarships give students a percentage of the money they need.
Types of International Scholarships
There are various scholarships available to students from other countries. The most common ones include:
1. Academic Merit based scholarships
Merit scholarships are awarded to students based on their academic or other achievements. Often, the selection committee will look for students who have shown potential in their chosen field of study.
2. Need-based scholarships
These scholarships are awarded to students who can demonstrate that they need financial assistance in order to attend university. The selection committee decides how much money each student needs, and bases the scholarship on that amount.
3. Career-based scholarships
These scholarships are offered to students who wish to study in a particular field of work after graduation. For example, there may be scholarships available for students who want to become doctors, lawyers, or engineers. These types of scholarships are usually very competitive.
4. University-specific scholarships
Scholarships are also available to students at particular universities or in particular fields of study. These awards are usually given by private companies in the university’s field of business, industry, etc. Such awards can be vital for international students who may not have many other scholarship options.
5. Government-specific scholarships
These scholarships are funded by national governments and international organizations such as the United Nations. They can be instrumental in helping students study at universities around the world.
6. Location-based Scholarships
Location-based scholarships are one of the most famous scholarships among international students. They are usually restricted to students who wish to study in a particular region, such as Europe or South America. It opens up opportunities for bright students who belong from rural areas of their home country.
There are many, many more types of scholarships available to international students studying outside their home countries. It is important to research all the options carefully before applying!
Best Study Abroad Scholarships for an International Student (Undergraduate Students/Graduate Students)
There are many different scholarship programs available for international students. However, not all of them are created equal. Some scholarships are more prestigious and difficult to obtain than others. Here are some of the best scholarships available to international students:
1. The Fulbright Scholarship (USA)
The Fulbright program is one of the most famous and highly respected scholarships in the world. It is offered to students who wish to study in the United States. The scholarship covers all expenses, including tuition, room and board, and travel. The Fulbright Scholarship is awarded through a competitive selection process in which students are judged according to their academic and leadership potential. It is regularly in the top ten of all scholarships available in the world.
2. British Chevening Scholarships (UK)
The Chevening Scholarship is offered by the British government to students who wish to study in the United Kingdom. The scholarship covers all expenses, including tuition, room and board, and travel. The selection process is highly competitive, and only the top students are chosen. It is one of the most prestigious scholarships available to students from around the world.
3. University of Alberta International Country Scholarship (Canada)
The University of Alberta International Country Scholarship is provided by the University of Alberta (Edmonton, Canada) is open to international students who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents. It offers scholarships for bright students who have shown excellence in their previous academic work. The scholarship covers the cost of tuition and living expenses.
4. Cambridge Trust Scholarship Awards (UK)
The Cambridge Trust Scholarship Awards are offered by the University of Cambridge (UK) to international students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and potential in their chosen field of study. The scholarship is awarded for the full duration of a student’s program at Cambridge and covers the cost of tuition and living expenses.
5. The Humphrey Fellowship Program (USA)
The Humphrey Fellowship Program is a fully funded fellowship offered by the United States government to students from developing countries who wish to study in the United States. The fellowship covers all expenses, including tuition, room and board, and travel. Since it is a government-backed program, the Humphrey Fellowship is extremely competitive.
6. Bell Fellowship for International Scholars (USA)
The Bell Fellowship offers fellowships to future leaders and young professionals in the field of population and development. The program offers a two-year research and leadership training at one of the world’s leading universities, with a focus on social and environmental determinants of population health, aging societies, workplace and wellbeing, and social and family demography. Selected fellows receive a full scholarship that covers tuition, room, and board and travel expenses.
7. Rhodes Global Scholarship to Study in (UK)
The Rhodes Global Scholarship is for exceptional students from outside the UK to study at the University of Oxford. It was one of the oldest and most prestigious scholarships in the world. The Rhodes Scholarships were founded in 1902 by Cecil Rhodes and are open to students from around the world who have the passion to make a difference in their community. The scholarship awards full tuition, room and board, and travel expenses for two or three years of study at Oxford.
8. Chevening Scholarships (UK)
Chevening Scholarships, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, are available for postgraduate study in almost any subject at master’s level at participating UK universities. The scholarship is open to students from around the world who have been invited by a UK university to study for an English language master’s degree.
9. AAUW International Fellowship (USA)
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) offers International Fellowships for women who are not United States citizens or permanent residents. The fellowship is open to graduate students in any discipline and awards up to $30,000 per year for two years of study.
10. Civil Society Leadership Awards (USA)
The Civil Society Leadership Awards (CSLA) are open to emerging leaders from civil society organizations working in the following areas: human rights, social justice, peace and reconciliation, the environment, and women’s empowerment. The CSLA program provides fellows with up to $90,000 for graduate study in the United States.
Things to consider before applying for scholarships:
There are a few things that foreign students have to keep in mind when applying for scholarships.
1. Do your research: Make sure you do your research on the different scholarships that are available to you. There are many different scholarships with different eligibility requirements, so make sure you find one that is a good fit for you.
2. Get organized: Make a list of all the scholarships for which you are eligible and start applying. Applying for scholarships can be a lot of work, so make sure you get organized before you start.
3. Show your commitment: You should always show your commitment to the scholarship or award by writing a personal statement on why you deserve the scholarship and what it will mean for you to receive it.
4. Be prepared to accept rejection: There are many reasons why some applications might not be successful, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t get the scholarship that you applied for. There are many other scholarships available, so keep looking for other sources that offer scholarships.
5. Follow the instructions: Make sure you read and follow the instructions carefully when applying for scholarships. If you don’t follow the instructions, your application might not be considered.
6. Apply for multiple scholarships: Don’t just apply for one scholarship. Apply for as many scholarships as you can, because you might not get selected for the first one that you apply for. You can also get selected for more than one scholarship, so it’s always worth applying.
7. Focus on your academic excellence: Make sure you focus on your academics because scholarships are not the only thing that matter in your life. Make good grades, get involved in extracurricular activities, and volunteer.
8. Show your passion: Show the scholarship committee how much you care about whatever scholarship or award that you are applying for. If you have a strong passion for whatever award or scholarship, then the committee members will be more likely to select you.
Studying abroad is the dream of millions of students for higher education. And what better way than getting a scholarship to support their financial needs. But getting a scholarship is not easy, but it’s definitely worth the effort. Make sure you do your research, get organized, and follow the instructions carefully. And don’t forget to have fun while you’re applying for scholarships! There are many different scholarships available, so you’re bound to find one that’s perfect for you. Best of luck!