Ways to Satisfy Solvency Requirements for International Students
August 16th, 2012 by Jennifer Frankel

Applying to study in the US can seem difficult but it doesn’t have to be. A little bit of investigating reveals that the process is actually much less confusing than it initially appears. Take the I-20, one of the earliest – and most frequently misunderstood – aspects of the student visa application process. This document, which is also known as a Certificate of Eligibility, is required for all F-1 visa applications and can only be issued by accredited colleges and universities. At its most fundamental level the I-20 certifies that a) applicants have been admitted to the school in question, b) they are proficient in English, and c) they have met the school’s solvency requirements for international students.

While the first two are straightforward enough, students often complain that the solvency requirements for international students are not. This, however, does not need to be the case. Solvency requirements – which prove that the student in question has the financial means to cover the costs of the time in the US – are frequently misunderstood but are actually quite simple. First, it is important to understand that bank holdings alone are not the only way to meet solvency requirements for international students. International students may also apply the benefits of any scholarships or fellowships they have been awarded as well as in some cases use the proceeds of international private loans in order to prove their solvency.

It is important to note, however, that international students are not eligible for the same scholarships, fellowships, and loans that domestic students are. For example, while many school-based scholarships are open to both domestic and international students, few of the most famous government-back scholarships and loans would work. All is not lost, though! Many school-sponsored or third-party based scholarships (e.g., merit scholarships) are still open international students and, failing that, a wide variety of private loan options exist. Be careful, though – while many schools consider a wide array of private loan options when considering solvency requirements for international students not all do. It is important to also check with your embassy or consulate to ensure that it is acceptable as well.  The regulations used by each institution can vary however, so it is important to check with the school in question before making any formal plans. Contacting the school’s international student office with questions like these may be the first step in an exciting journey abroad!


  1. Abu Taleb says:

    Can anybody who is my relative show his bank balance for my bank solvency?

    • Jennifer Frankel says:

      Hi Abu – this person would need to meet three requirements:
      1. Be a US citizen or permanent resident
      2. Have good credit
      3. Have lived in the US for the past two years
      If they meet these requirements than they can act as your cosigner.

  2. Fereshteh says:

    i sought adicve from a financial adviser on the investment potential of a company and was told that it would continue to be financially stable to invest in. i purchased $200,000 worth of shares but less than 8 months after the company is placed into liquidation my share are worthless.. am i liable to compensate my losses?. what legal terms do i have to follow?. can i sue the company??.

    • Jennifer Frankel says:

      I’m sorry to hear that! We recommend contacting an attorney to see what legal actions you have available.

  3. Habtamu Legese says:

    hi my name is Habtamu Legese i need scholarship but i can’t assist my life due to money problem could you help me. thank to help me.

    • Al Clunnie says:

      Thank you for your comment.

      We have loan programs available to international students studying at an approved school in the United States. Most international student loans require students to have a co-signer, the co-signer must be a US citizen or permanent resident with good credit and income history and who has lived in the US for the past two years. However, no cosigner loans are available to international students who attend select schools. You will also have to provide a valid student visa in order to finalize the loan. You can apply for up to the total cost of education (some lenders will have a maximum amount you can borrow so you will need to confirm that with them), as determined by your school, minus any other aid received. After you apply and receive credit approval for you and your co-signer, your school must certify the amount of the loan. The proceeds are then disbursed directly to the school.

      You should apply for a loan after you have been accepted and enrolled into an eligible school.

      You can see eligible schools here: https://www.internationalstudentloan.com/eligible_schools/all/

      You can start the application process and find all available lenders here: https://www.internationalstudentloan.com/apply/

      Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Join the conversation


Register | Recover password

Get the Financial Aid Newsletter!