US Cosigner for International Student Loans
January 18th, 2014 by Jennifer Frankel

conversation93127168All private international student loans in the US do require a US cosigner. You may be asking yourself, why? I’m from another country and don’t know anyone in the United States. These student loans are what we refer to as non-collateral loans meaning that you are not putting up a house, car, or other assets to back the loan in case you are unable to repay it.

Because there is no asset backing up your international student loan, lenders require you to have someone in the US with a good credit background to sign on to your application and accept financial responsibility in case of default.

Read the rest of this entry »

Get the Financial Aid Newsletter!