Conditional Loan Approval
October 3rd, 2012 by Jennifer Frankel

The vast majority of international students in the US have F-1 Student Visas. Before they can be issued an F-1 visa, however, applicants must submit a valid Certificate of Eligibility (also known as an I-20 form) to the US Department of State in addition to the usual visa requirements.

Because an I-20 can only be issued by accredited colleges and universities and cannot be issued until applicants have been admitted to the school, their level of English proficiency has been assessed, and they have satisfied the school’s funding requirements, the F-1 visa application process is not one step but two. This first step, the I-20, represents a unique challenge for many international students because this funding requirement – and the related issue of conditional loan approval – can often complicate the process. Read the rest of this entry »

Get the Financial Aid Newsletter!